******UPDATE****** instructions now on YouTube too: #LordsVapeVote on YouTube
Urgent Call to Action:
Please write to members of the House of Lords to ask them to support Lord Callanan’s fatal motion. There is a chance that the TPD in the UK could get overturned if enough emails and letters are sent over the next few days.
1. Choose a peer who hasn’t been written to from this spreadsheet. The spreadsheet has been updated to move the high priority targets to the top of the list. They are highlighted in red.
2. Click on their name in http://www.theyworkforyou.com/peers/ then click on the ‘send a message’ button. That brings up an auto filled form for you to use.
3. Tell them your story.
- how many cigarettes you smoked and for how long
- if you tried other methods to give up.
- if you stopped smoking despite not trying.
- if you have reduced your smoking by vaping.
- how switching or reducing smoking has affected your health.
- especially tell them if you do, or you used to use nicotine strengths above 20mg/ml.
- Tell them how the provisions of the TPD will affect you.
4. Ask them to support Lord Callanan’s motion.
5. Fill out your details, hit ‘preview and send’.
6. Edit the spreadsheet to say you have emailed your peer (it auto-saves, don’t worry).
7. Repeat the above for up to 5 more peers (if more than 5 you’ll get a message saying the letters will be deleted).
8. Ask friends and family to do the same- they could write about how your vaping has benefited them
Keep it personal. Peers have had very little engagement with vapers so far and the idea is that they should be reminded that the health and well being of real people is at stake.
Always be respectful. Your story is powerful enough without swearing!
Choose a peer at random if you don’t have a particular one to write to. Don’t just pick the first few from the list as then some peers wouldn’t get any letters.
Don’t get bogged down with technical arguments about EU politics, corruption and lobbying, the referendum or vaping devices – it will distract from your story.
“it is the hundreds or thousands of individual stories which have made politicians and regulators listen”
Throughout the TPD ‘war’ and its numerous battles one message has come through loud and clear from those we have sought to influence, and that is that it is the hundreds or thousands of individual stories which have made politicians and regulators listen, and in many cases change their minds.
Yesterday Lord Callanan tabled a motion in the House of Lords which would, if successful, block the statutory instrument which transposes the TPD into UK law.
Although that sounds simple enough the politics surrounding this are quite nuanced and complicated.
Dick Puddlecote’s post The Real Deal: A Fatal Attraction is well worth reading for the background on this.
Lord Callanan’s motion is available to read here
The text in full:
Lord Callanan to move that a Humble Address be presented to Her Majesty praying that the Tobacco and Related Products Regulations 2016, laid before the House on 22 April, be annulled on the grounds that its restrictions on product choice and advertising of vaping devices were devised before evidence had accumulated that vaping was enabling many people to quit smoking, run counter to advice from the Royal College of Physicians to promote vaping and are so severe that they could force vapers back to smoking and create a black market with harmful products (SI 2015/507).
Hopefully you have already signed the petition, please also ask others to sign it: https://www.change.org/p/david-cameron-mp-support-parliamentary-moves-to-block-crazy-e-cigarette-regulations
No one is better at this than us. We did it in 2013, now let’s do it again.